Saturday, July 08, 2006

Kissing and hugging!
The Brazilians are great ones for kissing and hugging. The men always greet each other by hugging, slapping each other round the shoulders etc. and the women always greet each other and men by kissing at least twice, once on each cheek. I never get the number of kisses right! I think it is twice, once on each cheek for men and married women, but 3 times for unmarried women.

I have to say, I still don't feel comfortable with all this kissing with people I don't know (very English of me!). So recently, I was not very happy when a lecturer at the University (male) proffered his cheek to me to be kissed, even though he had offered his hand to John to be shaken. I thought this very 'macho' and a bit old-fashioned in this era of female emancipation!

I also can't get used to the hairdressers kissing me. The first time this happened, it was a man and I decided it was either because he is a rather effeminate man or that he really felt sorry for me with my head of hair (they can't quite believe how fine and thin it is compared to the Brazilian's thick heads of hair). However, the last time I went, I was kissed by a female hairdresser -so it seems that you can expect to be kissed by your hairdresser here.

You can also expect to be called 'Querida' (darling) or 'Minha Flor' (my flower) by people you don't know here.

Although all this takes a bit of getting used to, it is indicative of how warm-hearted and friendly the Brazilians are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home