Sunday, September 03, 2006

Nearly missed this!
This wonderful fort has been on our doorstep all these months and I have only just realised that it is there. This is the Fortaleza (fort) de São José da Ponta Grossa, which is one of three forts that were built to protect the northern bay of Florianopolis. This one was built in around 1740 above Praia do Forte.

Given that our favourite restaurant is at Praia do Forte, I don't know how we nearly missed this. I think the problem is that 30 years later everything looks so different.

We did visit this fort when we lived here all those years ago, but in those days it was a ruin. In fact I have a photo at home (in Burton) which is almost identical to one they now have in the museum which is in the renovated fort. They have made a wonderful job of the renovation and there were quite a few people visiting the fort today. I have put more photos on my flickr site (photo gallery).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home