Saturday, July 29, 2006

Weekend meals out (Bar do Arantes, Pantano do Sul, Florianopolis)
We have been back from Pantanal for 2 weeks now, but I still haven't caught up with myself on this blog.

Last weekend, not this(!), we revisited Pantano do Sul, a beach on the southern end of the island. I have mentioned before that the southern end of the island is not as well developed as the north (where we live), but it is just as interesting. The beach is a busy place with fishermen, musicians and craft stalls. Cars drive onto the beach here and there are some popular restaurants/bars.

So, last weekend we returned to Bar do Arantes, which we visited with some Brazilian friends right at the beginning of our stay here, before I had a camera. I have wanted to go back with a camera ever since. From the photo (and more in the Photo Gallery of my website) you will see that it is a unique experience eating at Bar do Arantes. Visitors to the bar (restaurant) are encouraged to write a message on a paper napkin and tape it to the walls of the restaurant. Evidently, this idea originated from Cuba, where there is a similar bar.

Given that the bar is constructed from wood and is lined with all these paper messages, I dread to think what would happen if there was a fire - but it is a great eating out there - quite unlike anywhere else I have been. You can either eat very cheaply from a help yourself buffet, or pay slightly more for a meal from the menu. Either way, for an English person, it is cheap and very good as is most eating out in Brazil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home