Monday, July 24, 2006

Getting about in Ouro Preto
I think the reason that I probably don't remember much about Ouro Preto is that if you are disabled, access is just about impossible. Almost all the streets are cobbled and on steep hills. I can't think of a worse combination. I suspect that the last time we were here (30 years ago and without a wheelchair) we just didn't attempt it.

But this time it worked out wonderfully well. We were treated to a fabulous lunch by our friends in a typical Minas Gerais restaurant and then we split up with the women walking round the town and the men going to the Mineralogy Museum.

Its a very good thing that we only had an hour or so to do this and also that John had all the money with him, as the gem shops were fantastic and so cheap and I would not have been able to resist buying something, whereas John easily turned down the offer of a magnificent stone in the mineralogy museum!

This photo is of Praca Tiradentes. When I get round to it, I will put more about the history of Ouro Preto and the sights to be seen on my website. For now I will post my photos in my photo gallery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home