Monday, September 25, 2006


Black Brazil seeks a Better Future
When we are just about to leave we come across this BBC article on racism in Brazil, which has certainly set me thinking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5357842.stm

For many years Brazil prided itself on its cultural diversity and harmony, but there is no doubt that black people remain socially disadvantaged in Brazil. According to the information I have read on some websites, over 70% of the people living in favelas are black. However, I have also heard that some of the poorest people living in the south of Brazil are immigrants from Poland. I have no means of knowing whether this information is true or not.

This photo shows the housing of a fishing community living on Beira Mar Norte in Florianopolis city centre. I did not see anyone coming or going so I don't know whether the inhabitants are black or not. I am doubtful that I can assume that this would count as a favela and that the people living here would consider themselves disadvantaged, even if it looks extremely poor - just as I don't know whether I can assume that the people living in this housing are subject to racism, even if they are disadvantaged.

It would appear that racism in Brazil might be more subtle than in other parts of the world. Is this better or worse than the overt racism that is evident elsewhere?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home