Sunday, August 13, 2006

Growing old(er)!
Thinking about this seems to be inevitable in a country where 30% of the population is under 18 years old. Brazil remains a young person's country, although older people are much more in evidence now than they were 30 years ago and it's impressive how fit they are. It must be the sun, good living and an abundance of excellent cheap food.

A couple of things have happened recently which have made me think about growing older. Tonight when I went to our local mini-market, the young man (in his 20s) on the till called me 'Querida' (darling) twice! I have decided that this must be because he thinks I'm geriatric! Then, the other day in the gym, the other women on the running machines (I was walking not running!) were discussing how they would feel when they reach the ages of 30 and 40. I was thinking how I might feel at the age of 70!

The funny thing is that although it is very obvious that 30 years have passed since we last lived here (I can no longer wear a 'tanga'), I don't feel any different inside. It's only in the way other people treat me that reminds me.

However, the nice thing about being older is that I no longer have to worry about whether I'm slim enough to wear that 'tanga'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home