Sunday, August 06, 2006

Familiarity and 'Eyes Wide Open'
We have now been here for more than 4 months. I remember from the last time we lived here that it took 4 months to begin to feel as if we were 'living here' rather than being 'on holiday' and I think it is the same this time. This has advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is that after 4 months I have begun to feel more integrated, can find my way around more easily, have a better understanding of the culture and society etc. Life has become more 'normal'.

The disadvantage is that I sense that I am now 'looking' with a less critically reflective eye, noticing things less, taking things more for granted. This, I think, is a significant disadvantage as there is so much to learn here, as I suspect there is anywhere and everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home