Friday, June 23, 2006

Half-way reflections
We are now half way through our stay here. It is amazing to think that we have been here 12 weeks. The time has passed extremely quickly.

It is 30 years since we last lived here. It is difficult to evaluate whether Florianopolis has changed or whether it is that we have changed - which obviously we have.

Despite the numerous developments, Florianopolis is still an extremely beautiful place. On other blogs, people describe it as 'paradise'. It also feels more prosperous - or is it us who are more prosperous?

I think the thing that has struck me most is that I don't feel as cut off from all that I know and understand as I did 30 years ago. This might be because this time we arrived already speaking portuguese - but I think it is more because the world really is - for the most part - a smaller place. We can speak weekly or daily if we wish to family, friends and colleagues, via Skype. We can share experiences through, blogs, flickr photo galleries and websites. We can watch TV programmes in English.

There don't seem to be such obvious cultural differences as there were 30 years ago. We hear 'English/American' music regularly and fashions/the way people dress are very similar.

30 years ago I felt as if I stood out as English. I found the culture 'hit me in the face' and it took 2 years to feel fully integrated. 30 years ago I wrote numerous letters which took ages to reach England and ages to receive replies to. (This is still the case. The post is a lost cause). I kept a paper diary and took photos that have faded with time. Phone calls were just too expensive and difficult and we didn't have personal computers. Now communication can be instant.

I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that different cultures seem to be merging. It must be good for Brazil that it is more prosperous, if indeed it is, but I hope it holds on to the unique aspects of its wonderfully rich and diverse culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home